Skip to main content

Giving Back - Part of Our Culture - Even Early On

You're never too Young to Give Back!
I clearly remember being about eight years old, and my father, +Larry Dorfman, taking me to the Atlanta Union Mission to help prepare food for the homeless.  The morning of the visit, I remember being annoyed - I wanted to watch cartoons and hang out in my PJ's after a "hard week at school." When we arrived, my complaints quickly stopped. I looked around and saw what I had never seen before - people who were grateful just to have a roof over their head and food to eat. Whatever struggles we may had faced as a family paled in comparison to the day to day lives of the people around me.

I am fortunate to have been raised in a family that, as they became successful, they stayed focused on giving back at every level. I saw a great example of charity, philanthropy, gratitude, and humility, and I vowed to pay it forward.

At +DMC Atlanta, giving back to the community is a deeply-rooted core value - something so ingrained that, if it is not important to someone, chances are, we will not hire them. We have several charities we have worked with over the years - Songs for Kids, MOvember (coming up soon - watch out, Ladies!), the Atlanta 2 Day Walk for Breast Cancer (fundraiser is next week!), and Operation Smile.

This past week, we hosted a "Day of Smiles," where members of our team went out and, between standing at a Farmer's Market and Retail Stores, jumping into intersections at traffic lights, and going B2B, we raised money for Operation Smile.  I saw this as an opportunity to bring my oldest daughter along for the ride and teach her how to ask for someone's help for someone other than herself - and she personally raised over $100!  She would simply go up to people and say, "Would you please make a donation for Operation Smile," and I would explain from there.  But - she got it. She understood that, when there are people who can't take care of themselves, it is up to those of us fortunate enough to have the means to help them out in any way possible.  I couldn't be a more proud dad - and I had to share the story.

Here is a link to the PRESS RELEASE about our event, and here are a few photos from the day.

Take care, and if you'd like to make a donation to our campaign, you can do so at http://tinyurl.com/dmcsmiles.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DMC Atlanta's Throwback To Love Week

  Love is in the air every week at DMC Atlanta, but during the week of Valentine's Day, we like to show one another how much we care. From little notes to cups of coffee, the small details show you care. Join us in this throwback as we remember our recent Love Week in the office!

Ugly Sweater Holiday Party at DMC Atlanta

  Caption: In case you missed it, during the holidays, our DMC Atlanta team hosted an ugly Christmas sweater party, which was a huge success! In our YouTube video, you can see our night full of games, gifts, and laughs. What a fantastic way to end the year! 

DMC Atlanta Travels to Jacksonville, Florida

DMC Atlanta had a great time at the year's first conference in sunny Jacksonville, Florida! We never pass up a chance to explore new places and gain knowledge. We exchanged ideas during networking opportunities while learning from successful businesspeople. We hope you enjoy this recap video of our trip!